Photos

  • Streetcar outbound on Ferndale Avenue, August 16, 1958

    Streetcar outbound on Ferndale Avenue, August 16, 1958

  • Overlooking Ferndale from Belmont. You can see why Ferndale was once called "Horseshoe Bottom."

    Overlooking Ferndale from Belmont. You can see why Ferndale was once called "Horseshoe Bottom."

  • The Vickroys

    The Vickroys

  • Vickroy House, Ferndale Avenue

    Vickroy House, Ferndale Avenue

  • From 1929 Ferndale Reflector

    From 1929 Ferndale Reflector

  • From 1929 Ferndale Reflector

    From 1929 Ferndale Reflector

  • From 1929 Ferndale Reflector

    From 1929 Ferndale Reflector

  • From 1929 Ferndale Reflector

    From 1929 Ferndale Reflector

  • From 1929 Ferndale Reflector

    From 1929 Ferndale Reflector

  • From 1929 Ferndale Reflector

    From 1929 Ferndale Reflector

  • From 1929 Ferndale Reflector

    From 1929 Ferndale Reflector

  • Joseph Hinchman, grocer, traveling through Ferndale

    Joseph Hinchman, grocer, traveling through Ferndale

  • Ferndale Firemen's Jubilee Kitchen, 1959

    Ferndale Firemen's Jubilee Kitchen, 1959

  • 1967 Ferndale Reflector. Cambria County Commissioner Mark Wissinger at far left, along with Tim Mandroc, Bruce "Bo" Harrison and Lundy Jeroy

    1967 Ferndale Reflector. Cambria County Commissioner Mark Wissinger at far left, along with Tim Mandroc, Bruce "Bo" Harrison and Lundy Jeroy

  • Overview of 1966 Ferndale Jubilee

    Overview of 1966 Ferndale Jubilee

  • Ferndale Meat Market, believed to be 436-438 Ferndale Avenue prior to 1924. Johnstown Baking Co. sign in the window at left. Side of beef in right window. Marie Hiner donated this photo.

    Ferndale Meat Market, believed to be 436-438 Ferndale Avenue prior to 1924. Johnstown Baking Co. sign in the window at left. Side of beef in right window. Marie Hiner donated this photo.

  • Ferndale Historical Society secretary Carolyn Clark, 1966 Ferndale Reflector

    Ferndale Historical Society secretary Carolyn Clark, 1966 Ferndale Reflector

  • 1948 Ferndale Fire Co. Station

    1948 Ferndale Fire Co. Station

  • Inside Mock's Superette, with Ed Mock in the background, from 1957 Ferndale Reflector

    Inside Mock's Superette, with Ed Mock in the background, from 1957 Ferndale Reflector

  • Lester "Clem" Platt, longtime borough worker for whom Clem Alley is named

    Lester "Clem" Platt, longtime borough worker for whom Clem Alley is named

  • Ferndale ambulance, 1970.

    Ferndale ambulance, 1970.

  • Early Ferndale fire truck with volunteers. Date unknown.

    Early Ferndale fire truck with volunteers. Date unknown.

  • Ferndale gang at Johnstown Airport, 1948. First row: Karl Friedline, Dalton Blough, Jim Johnston. Second row: Jack Hassenplug, Glen Martin, Herb Boerstler. Standing: Earl Friedline.

    Ferndale gang at Johnstown Airport, 1948. First row: Karl Friedline, Dalton Blough, Jim Johnston. Second row: Jack Hassenplug, Glen Martin, Herb Boerstler. Standing: Earl Friedline.

  • Pencil drawing of the original Vickroy House on Ferndale Avenue by Kathy Hayduk, 2012.

    Pencil drawing of the original Vickroy House on Ferndale Avenue by Kathy Hayduk, 2012.

  • Ferndale football team, 1945

    Ferndale football team, 1945

  • Ferndale football team managers, 1945. John Wright, Bob Pebley, Bob Buck, Dalton Blough, Bob Schuster.

    Ferndale football team managers, 1945. John Wright, Bob Pebley, Bob Buck, Dalton Blough, Bob Schuster.

  • Ferndale High School, 1945. Notice how narrow Clay Street is.

    Ferndale High School, 1945. Notice how narrow Clay Street is.

  • Construction of the end of the Ferndale streetcar line. Note the B&O Railroad bridge in the background

    Construction of the end of the Ferndale streetcar line. Note the B&O Railroad bridge in the background

  • Ferndale Grade School, 1929. The school was destroyed by fire on December 9, 1936. The current high school stands at that location on the corner of Clay Street and Harlan Avenue.

    Ferndale Grade School, 1929. The school was destroyed by fire on December 9, 1936. The current high school stands at that location on the corner of Clay Street and Harlan Avenue.